When Mike Brandt ran the NOVA Open tournament last year, he created a revolution in the tournament community. A number of novel concepts were introduced into tournament strategy and scoring:
- Two major winners - Best General and Renaissance Man (33% each of battle, painting and sports)
- 3 simple missions that are not too hard to draw; but...
- All three missions are played every game, with one being primary another secondary and the last tertiary. If you tie the primary mission, the you determine win or loss from the secondary mission and so on.
- Victory points are used instead of kill points, and to resolve ties.
- Once a winner is determined, nothing else matters when determining the overall. There is a battle points score, but it is only used for future pairing offs and determining the Renaissance man.
- Within each bracket of winners, best is paired off with worst. Traditional Swiss format pairs off in a less extreme manner, in an effort to give players "better games".