I had a very clear set of goals in my mind when I go about these projects. Let me document the goals that I will always be striving for whenever I publish alternative rules:
- Fluff - produce a list that mirrors the latest published fluff for that army.
- Reuse - reuse existing units and conventions where possible, except where these are stupid or inconsistent
- Simplicity - don't over design, produce the minimum list of units and options that fulfill the other requirements
- Moderate Power - aim to produce army lists that would not produce top tier armies.
- Modern - follow the design approach of the latest codices, such adding options to a unit entry rather than a wargear section, and using characters to provide army-wide abilities.
(excerpt from Thoughts on Fan Codices)
Codex: Death Guard
Plague Marines, vomitting Dreadnoughts and Lords with Feel No Pain!
Chapter Approved: Crimson Fists
A veteran heavy chapter busy rebuilding its numbers after terrible losses to the Ork menace. Their hatred of greenskins leads to a favouring of flamers and heavy bolters.
The amazing space clowns cut a swathe through their opponents on the battlefield.
Three Simple Ways to Speed Up 40k