Sunday, October 24, 2010

Building a Travel 40k Set

I don't have much of a budget to spend on my hobby. When you combine two children with a large mortgage it doesn't leave much left for the finer things in life. So I have to be smart when it comes to making hobby purchases. Most of my armies have been carefully scraped together from the scraps off other gamers' tables. It can actually be a lot of fun to use my conversion skills to take a pre-loved model and turn it into something that looks good on the table.

Like most of us I have this secret desire to build an army or three for just about every codex out there. Army ideas come a lot faster than finished projects! So after lusting after the idea of a jetbike Seer Council, and adding up how much it would cost me even in second hand models, I had the idea to build some armies using magnetised Epic miniatures. I must admit I had thought about this a couple of years ago, but it was placed on the hobby project back-burner. Well now is the time for me to give it a go and see what eventuates.

The idea is to build a Travel 40k set - a board and terrain that it sprayed with metallic paint. I will then magnetise the model bases, so that the board can be folded up into a case and transported around! You could easily play part of a game, then pack it up in seconds - great for the busy father. My intention is to base the smaller minis using fridge magnets so that they don't hold on so tightly that they get snapped in two.

The first thing I did was hit google, and I was suprised that there wasn't very much out there. I did find two brilliant forum links that are well worth having a look at:

So it can be done! Well I worked my eBay mojo and managed to snag 20 Eldar jetbikes, 10 Vipers and most of an Eldar Warhost sprue - this has all the aspect warriors and other eldar foot models. Also in the deal were 3 Fire Prisms and 2 Falcons. The package arrived from England this week, and I was very impressed by the quality of the models given their scale. With a bit of attention I hope to paint them half as well as these awesome Grey Knights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter a comment