by Plague Marine
- Requires Codex: Space Marines
In the times directly after the Horus Heresy was defeated, the Space Marine legions were forced to split into smaller chapters 1000 marines in size - this was known as the second founding. The Imperial Fists legion was known for their self-discipline, loyalty and siege warfare skills. They split into three chapters: the Black Templars, the Imperial Fists and the Crimson Fists. Those chosen for the latter were the newest recruits to the chapter. Thus they were most strongly guided by the writings of the Codex Astartes and operated as a Codex chapter until recent events.
Unfortunately the Crimson Fists chapter recently suffered a near-fatal tragedy - whilst fighting an Ork invasion of their home planet Rynn's World a missile misfire resulted in the complete destruction of their entire chapter monastery. Reduced to a shadow of their former strength, the Fists were left with a dangerously small amount of gene-seed to continue the chapter. However they have managed to survive this cataclysm and are now slowly rebuilding their numbers, recruiting heavily. In order to prevent another massacre that they could ill-afford, Chapter Master Pedro Kantor has been forced to avoid most open confrontations, instead focusing the efforts of the chapter in lightning strikes and guerilla warfare.
Even before the cataclysmic loss of their monastery, the Crimson Fists were experienced in fighting the greenskins. They have now dedicated their efforts to the eradication of the Orks and their kin. Because of their effectiveness against Orks and other greenskins, it is common for the Master of Weapons to distribute Hellfire rounds to every marine taking part in an engagement. Also, the Fists use a chemical they call 'Hellfire' promethium to increase the heat output of their flamer weaponry. This dangerously sensitive explosive is used whenever it can be obtained to fuel their flamers and heavy flamers.
Build a Crimson Fists force using Codex: Space Marines as a basis. Apply the following additional rules:
Kill the Ork
- All Crimson Fists models have the Preferred Enemy: Orks rule.
- Tactical squads may take a heavy flamer as a heavy weapon option for 5 pts.
- Any unit containing models armed with a storm bolter, bolter or heavy bolter may upgrade all those models with Hellfire rounds at a cost of 5 pts per weapon.
- Any unit containing models armed with a flamer or heavy flamer may upgrade all those models with 'Hellfire' promethium at a cost of 5 pts per weapon. The weapon then counts as twin-linked against models with a Toughness score.
Rebuilding the Chapter
- You must take a scout squad for every tactical squad selected.
- Only one 5 man Terminator or Assault Terminator squad may be selected in the army.
- Bikes never count as scoring.
- A maximum of 1 Land Raider (or variant) may be included in an army.
- A maximum of 2 vehicles of each of the following types can be included in an army: Dreadnought, Land Speeder, Vindicator, Predator and Whirlwind.
- Any power fist or lightning claw can be made master-crafted for 5 pts.
- Only the following special characters may be selected: Pedro Kantor, Sergeant Tellion.
- Note: The Stubborness inherent in the Imperial Fists geneseed is tempered by the dire need of the chapter to preserve its members. Crimson Fist models are not Stubborn unless joined by Kantor.
Example Force: 1500 points
The idea with this list is to deploy the drop pod (with Captain) and scouts in the midfield, using the tacticals as a mini-Sternguard squad. The Devastators and Dreadnoughts sit in the deployment zone and lay down a steady stream of covering fire. The Dreads can tie up units trying to assault the Devs. Just a fun list I would like to have a game with! Now time to find an opponent to test it on...
master-crafted lightning claw, storm bolter, hellfire rounds
10 Tactical Marines (305)
hellfire rounds, hellfire promethium; heavy flamer, melta; sergeant with combi-melta, master-crafted power fist
10 Scouts (205)
extra close combat weapon, camo cloak; missile launcher; sergeant with master-crafted power fist
2 twin-linked auto-cannons
twin-linked lascannon, heavy flamer, hellfire promethium
2 x 1 Land Speeder (150)
multi-melta, heavy flamer, hellfire promethium
5 Devastators (170)
4 heavy bolters, hellfire rounds; sergeant with chainsword, bolt pistol
2 x 5 Devastators (270)
3 missile launchers